I’ve been watching, like you, the early days of the Liberal government in Canada. I wasn’t a Harper hater, like those I saw wearing Stop Harper badges, but I was concerned about the lack of transparency and the unwillingness to respond to media questions. The attraction for me to the PCs was the strength of their cabinet. But as those men and women saw defeat looming, they were headed out to do something else.
I am not as confident with the Liberal cabinet – time will tell. I see Hunter Tootoo – was the minister of education (with the social services portfolio) in Iqaluit, so I worked with him…not the most positive experience.
But I did like the symbolism of Trudeau taking his cabinet members on a bus and then walking on to the grounds of Rideau Hall together – very smart way to demonstrate being a team. Let’s see if that’s how it works out.
The declaration of taking 25000 Syrian refugees in by year end is probably impossible to process both at the front line and to settle into communities. After meeting with Chris Alexander the previous minister of citizenship and immigration, it will be interesting to see how this next chapter unfolds.
I did like Trudeau’s response to the question about why he had so many women in his cabinet: “…because it’s 2015….”
I’m sure in a few years we’ll be voting them out too…because that’s what we do.
More than once or twice while I was in Edmonton people on the street thought that I was the mayor of Edmonton and there is some likeness between us. Stephen Mandel was elected three times to be mayor and we did work together on a few projects that were obviously orientated to The Salvation Army. Stephen did attend a number of our events and was extremely encouraging to us.
The last election Mr. Mandel did not run for office but rather took a step out of public service. The Premier of Alberta has now announced that Mr. Mandel will be the new health minister, even though he does not sit in the provincial legislature. So a by-election will be held so that he can run for office!
So here’s a recent picture of Mr. Mandel – Stephen to his friends! Do you think he looks remotely like me?
I’ve enjoyed taking time to lay down some thoughts about what will or at least may happen in the coming year and by the looks of the traffic to last year’s posting it seems I should probably give you my insights into the coming year.
So here they are:
- let’s start again this year with the Royal family…in 2014 Prince Harry will announce his engagement
- in matters closer to home the Senate scandal will continue to haunt the government and details of wrong doing will surface within parliament itself
- Mayor Rob Ford will continue to struggle and will indeed run for office but be unsuccessful in his bid to mayor for another term
- in economics our dollar will continue to slide from it’s current home of about 94 cents (against the USD) and will spend most of 2014 near 90 cents.
- two babies – twins will arrive in March – around the 19th – to Jason and Susan….no predictions on names though that wouldn’t be cool….
- Wendy and I will make two trips to Alberta and two trips to Newfoundland in the coming year
- Amanda will graduate with her Masters degree and we will all celebrate with her!
- The Toronto Maple Leafs will not win the Stanley Cup (again) but will make a good run in the playoffs
- We will enjoy three weeks of sun and relaxation at the trailer spending much time relaxing on Lake Simcoe
So that’\s my predictions for the coming year. Here’s the link to posts from previous years that relate to predictions for the coming year.